Activity stream is the centralized place for users to see everything that is going on in the community.
It can be set as a home page for your site by going in to WP Admin -> Settings -> Reading and selecting the static page, then choosing Activity stream page as a home page.
This setting will change the home page of your site and display the activity stream for users that are landing to your top level domain (ex. www.domain.com)
Activity Stream is Privacy Aware
All of the items posted in activity stream respect the privacy option attached to them.
For example, if someone post something that is visible only to their friends, users who are not friends with the poster will not see that content.
Activity Stream Areas
Activity stream is divided in three (3) areas
- Stream Items
Postbox is the most commonly used feature of the community as it allows users to post content.
It also allows selecting the privacy for the posted item, choosing a mood that will be displayed in stream item, or scheduling posts for the later date.
Note: Features of the postbox can be expanded with additional plugins to allow uploading images, videos, creating pools or posting directly to the groups.
Filtering the activity stream to find the exact posts you’ve been looking for is possible with four (4) different options
1. General filter by:
- Community – Display all community stream items that viewer have permissions to see.
- Following (optional, requires Friends Plugin) – Display stream items from followed users
- All scheduled posts – Display posts scheduled for the later date
2. Ownership filter
In this filter you can chose whether to show or hide stream items that you made.
3. Search by keyword
If you wish to search activity streams by certain keyword, you can do that in third filter.
Available options are:
- Exact phrase – will search only for exact phrase you typed
- Any of the word – will search for any word you typed
4. Filter by #Hashtags
Note: This feature is optional and must be enabled in WP Admin -> PeepSo -> Configuration -> Stream Posts
Allows searching the stream items for the posted hashtags
Every stream item is made out of four elements
- Activity Header – Contains user avatar, name, action title and the mood, option to adjust the privacy, timestamp which is actual link to the single stream view and dropdown options to edit or delete the stream item.
- Activity Content – Contains the content of activity. It may also include WordPress Embeds if you post a link to the stream
- Reactions Bar – Displays all the reactions and allows for making new ones.
- Comments Section – This is where all comments to the stream item are posted